If you own an Apple device, and are often getting too many redirects error code while using Safari; you would probably be searching for ways to fix this problem of “too many redirects”. iPhone, iPad or Mac users have been experiencing the issue for quite some time now and to help them out, we have compiled this blog post to address “Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred” and suggest a feasible solution to resolve this problem. Checkout the fixes now..
What is “Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred” error?
You may perhaps encounter too many redirects on iPhone, iPad, or MacBook. When trying to visit a website using the Safari browser, users get to see this error, where the Safari shows a message that reads “Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred”.
This may happen when you open a page which is redirected to some other page and this again in-turn is redirected to open the original page. In case webpage redirects too many times, it may cause a redirect loop. It simply indicates that the website keeps being redirected between couple of websites say, A or B and this process is not ending by any means.
If that is the case, then the owner of that page will have to rectify the issue.
However, we will help you to solve this problem in simple way, but before that let’s understand the root causes resulting to the too many redirects issue on iOS or Mac devices.
Why too many redirects occur? Reason behind this problem:
Safari has incorporated a feature to protect your privacy; this safety feature is termed as Intelligent Tracing Prevention (ITP) and it is meant to restrict or limit cross-site tracking via cookies and other website data. Safari comes with this feature on a range of Apple products, including iOS13, iPadOS, Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra. Alas this safety feature might be a source for too many redirecting errors.
One of the reasons behind getting this problem is the authentication. Whenever you visit a webpage which requires an authentication service, you may likely to encounter too many redirects issue. For instance, visiting sites such as Google, Amazon, Youtube, Facebook, Netflix and alike can cause this error to occur.
One further probability which may lead to this problem is outdated redirect information or a setting with respect to cache or cookies on your Safari.
Here’s how you can resolve this error.
Solutions to fix too many redirects error:
“Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred” error can be fixed easily by using the methods given below.
Resolving too many redirects error on iPhone and iPad
In order to resolve the problem on your iPhone or iPad you need to perform the steps as under:
- Tap on Settings
- Open Safari
- Now scroll down to locate “Advanced”. Tap it.
- Tap on Website data and type the text for website/webpage which resulted in this error. E.g. FaceBook, Amazon etc.
- Hold it and then swipe it to left to show up a red colored “Delete” button.
- Click on “Delete” followed by “Done”.
- Now you need to instantly force close Safari.
- Open App Switcher
- On an iPhone X and onwards or an iPad with iOS 12 and onwards, or iPadOS: Go to your Home screen and swipe up to open the App Switcher.
- On other devices: Double tab the “Home” button to open the App Switcher.
- Locate Safari by swiping left or right.
- Then swipe up on the Safari’s preview icon.
- Open App Switcher
Now re-launch Safari again, and see if you have fixed the problem or not. In case you continue facing this problem you can try deleting all website data. This can be done using the following steps:
- Open Settings and follow the path as: Safari > Advanced > Website Data
- Under the Website Data tap on the “Remove all website data”
Alternatively, you can try using the desktop version of the site to get over the redirecting issues. This can be done as given below:
- Navigate to the redirecting website on your device.
- Now tap on the “Aa” button provided at the left corner of the address bar.
- Select “Request Desktop Site” from the options on the pop-up menu.
This might have fixed the problem for you, check if the site loads properly this time.
Resolving too many redirects error on Mac
For getting rid of this problem on your Mac device you are required to undertake following steps:
- Open Safari > Go to Preferences > and then select Privacy
- Click on Manage Website Data button
- In the search bar put the name of the website which is not loading
- Click Remove after selecting the website
- Click on Done and then exit Preferences.
- Now force close Safari right away by performing the tasks as provided underneath:
- Open Apple Menu ( upper left side in browser )
- Now take the path as: Force Quit > select Safari > Force Quit button
In case the problem still persists, you must delete all website data using the following steps:
- Open Settings and follow the path as: Safari > Preference > Privacy > Website Data
- Under the Website Data tap on the “Remove all Website Data”
That’s all. You have now successfully learned about fixing too many redirects on iPhone, iPad and Mac devices. Try using the above mentioned solution when you next encountered “Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred” error.
If you’re browsing Safari and getting too many redirects! Here are the causes and fixes that you should probably try in 2022.