As a game lover you want to have an uninterrupted gaming experience while playing a favirote game on your console. But occasionally when you launch Fallout4 game on your system, unfortunately you ended up getting an error which states “Fallout 4 Mods not Working”. As a result game’s Mods unexpectedly stop working and the game crashes. A number of users worldwide have reported this error. If you are also encountered with FO4 Mods not working issue, worry not as this article will help you know about why you are getting the Fallout4 Mods not Working problem on Xbox and PC and how to resolve the issue by your own.
What prevents Mods from working in Fallout 4?
FO4 Mods not working is quite a common problem and many gamers around the world has been reporting it from time to time. Though the problem is same there among the users there might be different reasons behind this issue. A few of the predominant ones are complied in the listed below:
- Corrupt Modes being applied by the gamers.
- Nexus Mode Manager not having administrative privileges.
- An obsolete (outdated) version of the Nexus Mod Manager is in place.
- A few important features of Fallout 4 might be blocked by your Windows Firewall.
- Nexus Mode Manager might also be blocked by Your Windows Firewall.
- Inappropriate configuration of the .ini files in the data folder.
- Virtual install and the game might not be saved / stored on the same drive of your device.
What to do when Fallout 4 Mods Aren’t Working?
In case where Fallout4 Mods are not working once you launch the game, you need not have to panic much as there are quite a few simple solutions which you can try by your own to get this issue resolved. Here’s a briefing on each of the solutions:
Method#1: Basic Troubleshooting
Before go on to try complex solutions you should follow some basic troubleshooting to resolve the problem. The steps involved in it are as under:
- Close the Steam platform.
- Restart your computer.
- Again open the Steam.
- Now right-click the game and then select Properties.
- Click on local and after that verify the game by clicking the verify button.
Method#2: Disable Corrupt Mods
In case when the problem occurs due to the corrupt or faulty Mods, you can simply fix it by disabling the corrupt Mods downloaded on your system which restricts the proper functioning of Modes in Fallout 4. To locate and deactivate the corrupt Mod, you are required to follow the steps below.
- Open the Nexus Mod Manager.
- Click on Fallout 4 to open the list of Mods list.
- Now disable all the installed Mods.
- To locate the corrupt Mod you need to enable one mod at a time and check if the error occurs.
- Continue enabling the Mods one after other until the error occurs.
- Once you identify the corrupt Mod, deactivate it.
- Launch the game afresh and you will see that the FO4 Mods not working issue is most probably resolved by now.
Method#3: Run Nexus Mod Manager as Administrator
As one of the causes behind this error is that you are not running the Fallout4 game as an administrator. Hence the problem can easily be fixed if you give administrator privileges to your game. For doing so all you need is to follow the steps given below:
- Make a right-click on the Nexus Mod Manager icon and select Properties.
- Find the Compatibility tab and click it.
- Once you are in this tab, ensure that Run as Administrator box is checked. If it is not, check it.
- Finally click on Apply followed by OK.
Now check again whether the issue is fixed or not.
Method#4: Update the Nexus Mode Manager
Since an obsolete or outdated version of the Nexus Mod Managermighttrouble a few of the plugin files. It becomes quite necessary to install an updated version of it where these bugs have been removed. Ensuring to have the latest version of Nexus Mod Manager is one of the simplest ways to fix this problem. To get it update to the latest version you need to:
- Uninstall the older version of Nexus Mod Manager
- Navigate to the official site of the developer
- Download the latest version and get it installed on your device.
Once you have installed the recent version, launch the game and see if FO4 Mods not working error appears or is it fixed.
Method#5: Let the Game Pass-Through Windows Firewall
When the problem emerges due to the Windows Firewall preventing some of the features of the game, or restricting Nexus Mod Managerto pass through it, letting the game through the Firewall will help you to get over the problem. To let the game pass through Windows or any other third party Firewall, you must perform following steps:
- Go to the taskbar and click on the search button. Type and enter “Control Panel” and open it.
- Select the viewing option as Large icons from the view by dropdown menu.
- Then select Windows Defender Firewall.
- Look for Allow an App or Feature Through Windows Firewall Defender option from the list of options provided on the left side of the window and select it.
- Now find and click Change Settings.
- Check both the boxes public and private network provided next to Nexus Mod Manager and Fallout 4 entries.
- Lastly restart your system and see if the issue is resolved.
Method#6: Configure the .ini files in the data folder
Improper or inappropriate configuration of the .ini files in the data folder may prevent the Mods to function properly in the game. By configuring them right, you can get rid of FO4 Mods not working error. You must take following steps to configure the said .ini files in the data folder:
- Head to the Documents folder in My PC, click MyGames and then open Fallout 4.
- Locate a file named “Fallout4Custom.ini”.
- In case there exists no file with such name, then create a one in notepad and save it.
- Now open the file and add the under mentioned License in it.
[Archive] bInvalidateOlderFiles =1sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
- Next find and open the “Fallout4prefs.ini” file.
- Navigate to the launcher section provided at the bottom of the page and add the command “bEnableFileSelection=1” to it.
- To finish, save and exit the file. Launch the game and check whether the problem is still there.
Method#7: Enable Multi HD install
For your Nexus Mod Manager to function flawlessly, you must ensure that the virtual install and the game both ought to be installed in the same drive on your device. In case you have installed these two at two different locations, Nexus Mod Manager allows you to enable Multi HD Install during the installation process using a special feature. Thus you have to enable it or else Mods in the game will not work and you will keep on receiving the FO4 Mods not working error.
That’s all… Hopefully the above methods may help you to get rid of the FO4 Mods not working issue.